TESTING TESTING: CREATIVE STORYBOARDING

I chose to do dans creative storyboarding class as its a much needed skill for development of a movie or video game. As we are planning of creating cutscenes for our game it would be helpful for me to take this class.

first we were tasked with naming different camera shots and animation shots used in film the notes below are what the class had produced

looking as some of the shots stated I was most interested in the ‘DUTCH SHOT’ we were informed that a dutch shot is a tilted shot from below used primarily in fight scenes. it is used to make the audience feel ‘Uneasy’.

Next we were to watch a short film called ‘Fly on the Window (2010) by Nikita Diakur. This was an intruiging film using a 3d world view perspective we see used for google earth or 360 videos on youtube. what struck me was the use of this perpective on the fly’s POV. it was a very clever use of perspective to show how a fly can see whats surrounding them.

after a short break we then took a look at different storyboards from famous films and other shorts such as the saul bass ‘Psycho’ storyboard and some of terry gillians storyboarding. What interested me about these strotyboards were that there was no similatites between them, They all seemed to be made for their specific purpose. For example, Saul Bass’ ‘Psycho’ Board had no numbers or any writing to explain what was to happen on screen. instead he used hard lighting sketches to announciate what he wanted the lights to be for these scenes.

next was to create our own stories based from a small synopsis of a movie or tv show. I chose to Metamorphis seen below is my storyboard.